Children's Relief International

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. speak up and judge fairly defend the rights of the poor and needy. Proverbs 31:8-9

Thursday, March 8, 2012

India day 1

Are you amazed at the places that God has taken you?  Our plane was descending into the airport in Calcutta, India and as I filled out my immigration information I looked at the date of issue for my passport in 2006.  In 2006 I had no idea that I would be going to India.  I don't believe I had the slightest idea that I even would've considered coming to India.  But God. After exiting the plane the first thing I was confronted with was my two legged flying foe, the mosquito!  After all of the bouts of malaria that I have had in the last 5 years ibis was not what I wanted to see first thing arriving in the country.    It's 1:30am and there are really not many happy faces around. The cab drive was right there to pickups up and take us to the hotel with about an hour's drive ahead of us.  I read or heard once that 78% of deaths of missionaries on the field is due to car accidents.  As the cabbie drove us to our hotel, through red lights, never stopping for anything unless there was nowhere to go and a truck was stopped ahead of us.  Without a spoken word we arrived safely at our hotel in half the time.  The streets were lined with garbage, broken cement debris from buildings, scads of the homeless sleeping on the sidewalks, it looked almost as if a bomb had gone off.   The man who helped us at the hotel was polite and kind reminding us that Wednesday, tomorrow is a holy day here and because of the color of our skin we should probably not go out into the streets.  This holy day is a day when dry paint is thrown all over the city.  Sounds like fun to me.  Holy? Not to me.  Only God is holy, and only He should be celebrated.   Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment